Skip to main content

Busy and Industrious

Have you every just sat and watched ants wander around?  Although I am not a big fan of the six-legged little critters, there’s much to be learned from them.  Observation is an amazing thing.

A few “ant” facts: 
  • Did you know that an ant can lift up to 20 times its own weight?  That would be like a six or seven year old child being able to pick up a car. 
  • Ants don’t have ears.  They hear by feeling vibrations.
  • When out foraging they leave a scent trail so they won’t get lost.

Thoughts to ponder:
  • Am I strong?   I’m not necessarily talking about physical strength, but that certainly is a good question.  Is my spirit robust and thriving; my soul doing well?
  • What am I hearing and listening to?  Do I have my ear to the ground to feel the rumble of the train coming down the tracks?  Am I touched when I view people in my neighborhood or city?
  • When I’m out and about, what type of fragrance am I leaving?  Is it one that I can follow home?
Being social insects, ants always have a built-in support system.  They rely on each other for their being and survival. 

The ants go marching … but never ask, “Are we there yet?” ~ Missy


Comments

  1. Well stated..Ants are very busy and if studied, one can learn many secrets about life from these little 6 legged creatures..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You sure can...and evidently they are very tidy. They also eat a lot of "dead" things. I'm still not a fan.

      Delete
  2. Isn't it amazing that these little creatures can lead us to ponder? Good article.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is amazing...and Brax loves to hold them and watch them. I wonder what he is learning?

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

urban girl in the country

green in concrete For the last lot-of-years I’ve lived in urban areas.  I’ve become a city girl with hints of a flower child mixed with hipster nuances…translated I like to wear skinny jeans.  This is the total opposite of how I grew up, which was on a farm.  My paternal grandparents grew, raised, caught and hunted for everything they ate – radical organic, free-range stuff.  On my Mom’s side of the fam tree, there were green grocers and orchard growers.  Heck, I was in 4-H raising feeder calves and a small flock of wooly sheep.  Gardens, canning, freezing and preserving everything was the ordinary. I carried on the gardening-preserving, saving the spoils piece, until I found myself in fresh veggie-at-a-farmer’s-market heaven!  The foreign city I found myself in had a temperate climate where fruit and vegetables could be grown year ‘round, and … it was sold at a giant open air market every week.  Yippee!  I no longer needed to ...

road tripping: french glen and steens mountain

we took a stinkin' lot of dirt roads, but i wouldn't have it any other way The drive wasn’t long by west coast standards, a mere few of hours; which meant there was plenty of leisure (interpreted coffee time) before leaving on another road trip escapade.  I can’t begin to tell you how much fun it is to pack a bag, gas up the car and set out to see what can be seen. An interesting thing I’ve discovered on these exploits, is that having lived in Oregon for the majority of my life, I’ve missed “seeing” a lot of things. You know, I think we all get into the habit of going to the same places, which is a good thing, but we forget about the “other” places that are right in our own backyards. Case in point, yesterday afternoon, when my darling man and I went to Tumalo Falls. I’ve been to Skyliner Snow Park, but never gone the few more dirt road miles to see the falls. Holy cow! Is that lame, or what? a sweet little place, no frills, but plenty of yesteryear ...

wishing flower, vulnerable and beautiful

do you see a weed or a wish? Let’s just say, I’m not an early morning girl.  Those who know me appreciate this and quietly leave me alone until I’ve had a chance to emerge from my pre-coffee zombie state.  However, there is a bird glee club that begins at about 3:30, yes in the morning.  It’s lovely and melodic; leaving me no choice but to listen.  Translated, this means I’ve been up before my norm.  The youthful hours are warm, but fresh; they beg for a walk, and so does Isabella. Yesterday was a little cooler so our pace was speedy, at least for my little legs.  We passed cars and bushes and bugs zipping around … and the rejected weed. pulled up by its roots discarded wishing flower tossed aside left at the edge of the sidewalk the sun beat down life ebbing from the slender stalk, leaves drying, privately curling desperate to hold onto being funny , how I noticed the thrown-away on a morning walk my thought to stop and ...