Skip to main content

I sat down in a field ...

Oak in a field
I sat down in a field to write a story for my grandkids.  It was July and already the air hung heavy as the day warmed and temperatures soared, hot and humid.  The gnarled oak tree provided small comfort…

Once upon a time there was a farm … what a cliché beginning.  Don’t all kids’ stories start out that way?  Back to my train of thought….

The farm was nestled in a small valley encircled by golden-hued rolling hills dotted with oak and madrone and stately cottonwoods.  Wheel-lines spurting sprays of cooling water to the surrounding fields; the sound echoing – ch, ch, ch, ch was mesmerizingly bucolic.

Oh, where is my concentration?  I’ve been listening to the cadence of the sprinklers …

CH Bailey sits in this tranquil setting.  Big and white, the farmhouse is the focal point.  Its black plantation shutters and iconic red door that mimics the tones of the outbuildings has weathered the summer’s smoldering heat and winter’s icy winds.  And, oh the tales it can tell.  Laughter shared between family and friends; and kids scampering up the staircase only to slide down the banister with squeals of delight.

Now working as a bed and breakfast for tourists and sightseers and the just plain weary, Bailey’s allure endures.  We are here as the much-in-need of rest type of guests.  Again, I’m wandering from the story …

Life at CH Bailey

So, on this farm there are assorted structures.  Every farm has to have a barn.  CH Bailey is no exception.  Batten boards long ago painted brick red form the exterior walls; patches of grayed, bare wood showing through.  The high peak is covered by a sturdy galvanized roof.  It creates a lovely sound when the rains patter.  And … did I mention the working outhouse?

No farm would be complete unless there were a few critters.  Two old dogs wander and laze around.  They rise to greet newcomers welcoming them with a wag of their tails, only to retreat to the comfort of their beds.  Probably half a dozen chickens peck and cluck in the hen yard; yielding eggs for delightful concoctions like savory vegetable soufflés.

A handful of fruit trees, a neatly tended vegetable garden and fragrant herbs adorn the farm.  Thrown into the culinary mix are willows and magnolias, shrubs and roses which sweetly scent the air; while a long row of heady lavender planted in the middle of the bocce courts, sways in the afternoon breeze.
Farewell for now

As I sit and take in the quiet peacefulness, it occurs to me that this is no longer a story for my grandkids.  That will be a different chapter.  This is a story for me.

Thank-you CH Bailey ~ Missy




Comments

  1. delightful and peaceful reading..we all need to take a break..Love Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is such an enchantingly peaceful place. And the food was phenomenal!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are easily distracted with the summer heat. It often takes our mind into new directions that aren't all that unpleasant as you have just discovered. Very soothing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It all depends on what we let distract us, and how we respond to those distractions. Thanks for the input.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

urban girl in the country

green in concrete For the last lot-of-years I’ve lived in urban areas.  I’ve become a city girl with hints of a flower child mixed with hipster nuances…translated I like to wear skinny jeans.  This is the total opposite of how I grew up, which was on a farm.  My paternal grandparents grew, raised, caught and hunted for everything they ate – radical organic, free-range stuff.  On my Mom’s side of the fam tree, there were green grocers and orchard growers.  Heck, I was in 4-H raising feeder calves and a small flock of wooly sheep.  Gardens, canning, freezing and preserving everything was the ordinary. I carried on the gardening-preserving, saving the spoils piece, until I found myself in fresh veggie-at-a-farmer’s-market heaven!  The foreign city I found myself in had a temperate climate where fruit and vegetables could be grown year ‘round, and … it was sold at a giant open air market every week.  Yippee!  I no longer needed to ...

road tripping: french glen and steens mountain

we took a stinkin' lot of dirt roads, but i wouldn't have it any other way The drive wasn’t long by west coast standards, a mere few of hours; which meant there was plenty of leisure (interpreted coffee time) before leaving on another road trip escapade.  I can’t begin to tell you how much fun it is to pack a bag, gas up the car and set out to see what can be seen. An interesting thing I’ve discovered on these exploits, is that having lived in Oregon for the majority of my life, I’ve missed “seeing” a lot of things. You know, I think we all get into the habit of going to the same places, which is a good thing, but we forget about the “other” places that are right in our own backyards. Case in point, yesterday afternoon, when my darling man and I went to Tumalo Falls. I’ve been to Skyliner Snow Park, but never gone the few more dirt road miles to see the falls. Holy cow! Is that lame, or what? a sweet little place, no frills, but plenty of yesteryear ...

wishing flower, vulnerable and beautiful

do you see a weed or a wish? Let’s just say, I’m not an early morning girl.  Those who know me appreciate this and quietly leave me alone until I’ve had a chance to emerge from my pre-coffee zombie state.  However, there is a bird glee club that begins at about 3:30, yes in the morning.  It’s lovely and melodic; leaving me no choice but to listen.  Translated, this means I’ve been up before my norm.  The youthful hours are warm, but fresh; they beg for a walk, and so does Isabella. Yesterday was a little cooler so our pace was speedy, at least for my little legs.  We passed cars and bushes and bugs zipping around … and the rejected weed. pulled up by its roots discarded wishing flower tossed aside left at the edge of the sidewalk the sun beat down life ebbing from the slender stalk, leaves drying, privately curling desperate to hold onto being funny , how I noticed the thrown-away on a morning walk my thought to stop and ...