Skip to main content

When things go splat!


Love those bike tires...
We’ve all done it.  You are walking along and all of a sudden you find yourself on the ground; wondering how it happened, and desperately hoping that no one saw you, but of course someone did.  They’re probably chuckling to themselves, well, because they too have taken that awkward tumble.  This is my recent version of that trip, spill, splat, whatever you want to call it. 

Last week I heard Lonny come home and enter through the garage.  Curious, I opened the door to see what was going on.  Usually, it means he has picked up some gleaned treasure that needs to be tucked away until its project time…faucets, springs, you never quite know. 

In theory, just stepping out to have a look, I abruptly found myself on the concrete pretty much face to face with my bicycle tires.  Not exactly a graceful move.

I’m not the clumsy type; I can walk quite nicely in stilettos, but not that day.  I’m still not sure what happened; whether I caught my heel, missed the step or just walked out.  My darling husband scooped me up and brought me inside, removing my boot, just in case my ankle started to swell.  The outcome of this, should I say adventure? - some stiff and sore body parts and a fine black and blue foot.  I think my self-respect took a bigger hit.  How in the world did I do that?

Mortifying story set aside, there are many things in life that go splat, be it jobs, houses, dreams, relationships or health issues.  Then we sit back and ask the same question:  how in the world did that happen? 

“So Elijah, what are you doing here?”
1 Kings 19:8 The Message

Uh yeah, I’m kind of wondering that myself.

Since splatting is inevitable, is there a point to this excruciating tale of calamity or do we all need to put on dark glasses to conceal our chagrin?  Learning from Elijah, and my own life, here are a few thoughts:
  • Be aware of what is going on around you – look, watch and then step out
  • Sometimes the trip (pun at least partly intended) will be too great for you
  • Take time to eat and sleep to gain strength, health and the right perspective
  • Maintain your sense of humor.  You might as well laugh at yourself and with others
  • Listen for the quiet voice of help.  It comes as a whisper, not in the commotion 

Okay, so here’s how this works, I’ve told you my red-faced chronicle, what’s yours?

Somewhat awkwardly tumbling through life ~ Missy


If you have been mildly amused, challenged or inspired by what you have read, please pass on my blog to a friend, colleague, family member or even random acquaintance. 


Comments

  1. Yep..we have all had are splats...and I too, wonder how did that happen??? lol..especially with others and ourselves..Love Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked this post and how open you are. Sorry about the fall. I had one like it many years ago and broke my ankle. It was an odd fall. I felt an energetic push behind me but my sister swears she didn't touch me. You end up feeling awkward face down.:)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

urban girl in the country

green in concrete For the last lot-of-years I’ve lived in urban areas.  I’ve become a city girl with hints of a flower child mixed with hipster nuances…translated I like to wear skinny jeans.  This is the total opposite of how I grew up, which was on a farm.  My paternal grandparents grew, raised, caught and hunted for everything they ate – radical organic, free-range stuff.  On my Mom’s side of the fam tree, there were green grocers and orchard growers.  Heck, I was in 4-H raising feeder calves and a small flock of wooly sheep.  Gardens, canning, freezing and preserving everything was the ordinary. I carried on the gardening-preserving, saving the spoils piece, until I found myself in fresh veggie-at-a-farmer’s-market heaven!  The foreign city I found myself in had a temperate climate where fruit and vegetables could be grown year ‘round, and … it was sold at a giant open air market every week.  Yippee!  I no longer needed to ...

road tripping: french glen and steens mountain

we took a stinkin' lot of dirt roads, but i wouldn't have it any other way The drive wasn’t long by west coast standards, a mere few of hours; which meant there was plenty of leisure (interpreted coffee time) before leaving on another road trip escapade.  I can’t begin to tell you how much fun it is to pack a bag, gas up the car and set out to see what can be seen. An interesting thing I’ve discovered on these exploits, is that having lived in Oregon for the majority of my life, I’ve missed “seeing” a lot of things. You know, I think we all get into the habit of going to the same places, which is a good thing, but we forget about the “other” places that are right in our own backyards. Case in point, yesterday afternoon, when my darling man and I went to Tumalo Falls. I’ve been to Skyliner Snow Park, but never gone the few more dirt road miles to see the falls. Holy cow! Is that lame, or what? a sweet little place, no frills, but plenty of yesteryear ...

wishing flower, vulnerable and beautiful

do you see a weed or a wish? Let’s just say, I’m not an early morning girl.  Those who know me appreciate this and quietly leave me alone until I’ve had a chance to emerge from my pre-coffee zombie state.  However, there is a bird glee club that begins at about 3:30, yes in the morning.  It’s lovely and melodic; leaving me no choice but to listen.  Translated, this means I’ve been up before my norm.  The youthful hours are warm, but fresh; they beg for a walk, and so does Isabella. Yesterday was a little cooler so our pace was speedy, at least for my little legs.  We passed cars and bushes and bugs zipping around … and the rejected weed. pulled up by its roots discarded wishing flower tossed aside left at the edge of the sidewalk the sun beat down life ebbing from the slender stalk, leaves drying, privately curling desperate to hold onto being funny , how I noticed the thrown-away on a morning walk my thought to stop and ...