Skip to main content

My New Year is full of distractions


Write a story about someone who is distracted…well, today, this distracted person is me.  Case in point, I wrote that statement December 31st and now I’m back to writing on January 1st and finishing the post on January 5th. 

I sit down to read and instantly my mind is spiraling in countless directions.  I’d like to think that this is the ultimate in multi-tasking, but it’s actually commotion and lack of concentration.

dis.trac.tion - something that makes it difficult to think or pay attention

Distraction in and of itself isn’t bad; it just is.  At times being interrupted is a much needed break from whatever has had our attention.  Often, I come up with very creative or soul searchingly deep thoughts while being distracted.  Have you ever found yourself rummaging through a box, actually looking for something specific, only to find unexpected treasure like long forgotten photos or letters?  Some of these absent-minded finds lead to brilliance, others not so much, save a smile.

Being on task is a good thing, however, distractions enliven and flavor our lives with spontaneity; that little sparkle that keeps us kindled!

I’m starting my New Year distracted…and that’s ok ~ Missy

If you have been mildly amused, challenged or inspired by what you have read, please pass on my blog to a friend, colleague, family member or even random acquaintance.


Comments

  1. love the article..my life can get very distracted...love it..good way to laugh at yourself and enjoy living..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes it is. I find distractions to be what gives me the most intriguing thoughts...like seeing a bird just flit by the window. He is enjoying the hazy sunshine that we have this morning. Maybe, I should too! Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So true, so true. Enjoyed reading this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How are you doing, Marlene? Are you getting some of your projects done...or being distracted like me?

      Delete
  4. Distraction is positive most of the time (my view). That's where I got my new inspiration and challenges. Life will be so boring if all go smooth and no ripples :-) Have a great year (even with distractions)!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really do love my distractions, too! Just think what we might miss if we weren't distracted. Best year to you, as well.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

urban girl in the country

green in concrete For the last lot-of-years I’ve lived in urban areas.  I’ve become a city girl with hints of a flower child mixed with hipster nuances…translated I like to wear skinny jeans.  This is the total opposite of how I grew up, which was on a farm.  My paternal grandparents grew, raised, caught and hunted for everything they ate – radical organic, free-range stuff.  On my Mom’s side of the fam tree, there were green grocers and orchard growers.  Heck, I was in 4-H raising feeder calves and a small flock of wooly sheep.  Gardens, canning, freezing and preserving everything was the ordinary. I carried on the gardening-preserving, saving the spoils piece, until I found myself in fresh veggie-at-a-farmer’s-market heaven!  The foreign city I found myself in had a temperate climate where fruit and vegetables could be grown year ‘round, and … it was sold at a giant open air market every week.  Yippee!  I no longer needed to ...

road tripping: french glen and steens mountain

we took a stinkin' lot of dirt roads, but i wouldn't have it any other way The drive wasn’t long by west coast standards, a mere few of hours; which meant there was plenty of leisure (interpreted coffee time) before leaving on another road trip escapade.  I can’t begin to tell you how much fun it is to pack a bag, gas up the car and set out to see what can be seen. An interesting thing I’ve discovered on these exploits, is that having lived in Oregon for the majority of my life, I’ve missed “seeing” a lot of things. You know, I think we all get into the habit of going to the same places, which is a good thing, but we forget about the “other” places that are right in our own backyards. Case in point, yesterday afternoon, when my darling man and I went to Tumalo Falls. I’ve been to Skyliner Snow Park, but never gone the few more dirt road miles to see the falls. Holy cow! Is that lame, or what? a sweet little place, no frills, but plenty of yesteryear ...

wishing flower, vulnerable and beautiful

do you see a weed or a wish? Let’s just say, I’m not an early morning girl.  Those who know me appreciate this and quietly leave me alone until I’ve had a chance to emerge from my pre-coffee zombie state.  However, there is a bird glee club that begins at about 3:30, yes in the morning.  It’s lovely and melodic; leaving me no choice but to listen.  Translated, this means I’ve been up before my norm.  The youthful hours are warm, but fresh; they beg for a walk, and so does Isabella. Yesterday was a little cooler so our pace was speedy, at least for my little legs.  We passed cars and bushes and bugs zipping around … and the rejected weed. pulled up by its roots discarded wishing flower tossed aside left at the edge of the sidewalk the sun beat down life ebbing from the slender stalk, leaves drying, privately curling desperate to hold onto being funny , how I noticed the thrown-away on a morning walk my thought to stop and ...