Skip to main content

Valentine's and Flamingo Feather Hair

Once upon a few years back, there was a girl who wanted to be a redhead for the night.  Why you might ask?  Because she could…and what a jolly surprise it would be for her husband for Valentine’s Day.

The girl and her sister went to the store with one purpose in mind:  red hair dye.  Now, the girl knew pretty much nothing about coloring one’s hair.  She did know that Fanciful was a put-on, wash-right-out product.  Problem was, the store did not have Fanciful in red; every other color of the hair rainbow, but no red.

So the girl and her sister began to read the boxes of shades and tints and dyes; permanent, semi-permanent.  It made their heads spin.  Reading more closely, a few stylist clues began to emerge, “Washes out in 6 to 7 shampoos!”  A light went on, the box was purchased and home went the girl and her sister.  Soon they would have lovely red locks.  Now remember, the girl knew pretty much nothing about coloring one’s hair.

The package instructions were quite long, including mixing and applying and the wearing of flimsy, plastic gloves.  Not to be deterred, the girl and her sister took it one instruction at a time…then the waiting and timing process began.  Having carefully watched the clock, it was time to rinse out the magic potion to reveal lovely red locks.

A time-stopping, life-altering, blow-your-socks-off shriek reverberated off the tiled bathroom walls.  The girl who knew pretty much nothing about coloring one’s hair had lovely flamingo pink feathers.  What a jolly Valentine’s Day surprise.

Happy hearts and kisses from a girl who never messed with her hair color again ~ Missy

If you have been mildly amused, challenged or inspired by what you have read, please pass on my blog to a friend, colleague, family member or even random acquaintance.


Comments

  1. Replies
    1. We had gone to the beach...this actually all happened in our condo. Sue's hair was fine...mine not so much. Good for a laugh...now!

      Delete
  2. That made me laugh. We all have to have at least one story like it. I could honestly hear the shriek from the bathroom. :) Good one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I laugh about it now. It was not so funny at the time. My darling, oh so loving family like to say I kicked my feet and wailed on the bed...that is a bit of a fish tale.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

urban girl in the country

green in concrete For the last lot-of-years I’ve lived in urban areas.  I’ve become a city girl with hints of a flower child mixed with hipster nuances…translated I like to wear skinny jeans.  This is the total opposite of how I grew up, which was on a farm.  My paternal grandparents grew, raised, caught and hunted for everything they ate – radical organic, free-range stuff.  On my Mom’s side of the fam tree, there were green grocers and orchard growers.  Heck, I was in 4-H raising feeder calves and a small flock of wooly sheep.  Gardens, canning, freezing and preserving everything was the ordinary. I carried on the gardening-preserving, saving the spoils piece, until I found myself in fresh veggie-at-a-farmer’s-market heaven!  The foreign city I found myself in had a temperate climate where fruit and vegetables could be grown year ‘round, and … it was sold at a giant open air market every week.  Yippee!  I no longer needed to ...

road tripping: french glen and steens mountain

we took a stinkin' lot of dirt roads, but i wouldn't have it any other way The drive wasn’t long by west coast standards, a mere few of hours; which meant there was plenty of leisure (interpreted coffee time) before leaving on another road trip escapade.  I can’t begin to tell you how much fun it is to pack a bag, gas up the car and set out to see what can be seen. An interesting thing I’ve discovered on these exploits, is that having lived in Oregon for the majority of my life, I’ve missed “seeing” a lot of things. You know, I think we all get into the habit of going to the same places, which is a good thing, but we forget about the “other” places that are right in our own backyards. Case in point, yesterday afternoon, when my darling man and I went to Tumalo Falls. I’ve been to Skyliner Snow Park, but never gone the few more dirt road miles to see the falls. Holy cow! Is that lame, or what? a sweet little place, no frills, but plenty of yesteryear ...

wishing flower, vulnerable and beautiful

do you see a weed or a wish? Let’s just say, I’m not an early morning girl.  Those who know me appreciate this and quietly leave me alone until I’ve had a chance to emerge from my pre-coffee zombie state.  However, there is a bird glee club that begins at about 3:30, yes in the morning.  It’s lovely and melodic; leaving me no choice but to listen.  Translated, this means I’ve been up before my norm.  The youthful hours are warm, but fresh; they beg for a walk, and so does Isabella. Yesterday was a little cooler so our pace was speedy, at least for my little legs.  We passed cars and bushes and bugs zipping around … and the rejected weed. pulled up by its roots discarded wishing flower tossed aside left at the edge of the sidewalk the sun beat down life ebbing from the slender stalk, leaves drying, privately curling desperate to hold onto being funny , how I noticed the thrown-away on a morning walk my thought to stop and ...