Skip to main content

leaks, drips, advent!

frozen drip

It’s a mystery, the drip, drip, drip, gush from our bathroom shower.

Here’s the scoop:  I went to clean the downstairs bathroom about a month and a half ago – not an every week happening.  I’m not a cleaning slacker, far be it, I’m actually a bit of a neat-nik bordering on germ-a-phobia.  Truth is that bathroom is only used by overnight guests; now, back to the leak and bathroom cleaning chronicle.

Company had come and gone.  It was time to go down to clean so things would be spic and span for the next visitors.  Turning the light on over the vanity, I was met by a dinner-plate-sized bubble in the ceiling, so not a good thing.  The gotta-figure-this-out in me took over.  Where was the leak coming from?  Duh, upstairs, but was it the tub, the shower or the other shower.  So many choices, not many answers, especially because water travels.  It’s like a no rhyme or reason maze.

After inspecting, thinking, checking, snooping out the options, I narrowed the escaping water issue to the main bathroom.  You might think the puzzle stops there, but it’s only just begun.  Plumbers and contractors joined the conundrum – flashlights, testing and gallons of water later, they were still lost in the maze.  The pieces of the puzzle are still scattered on the bathroom floor.  One says this, the other says that.  The problem is their findings don’t match the evidence.

So the makeshift answer is:  I only take a bath. 

This quick fix works, but is only a Band-Aid.  Oh!  Edison bulb moment!  How many things in my life are like that?  There’s something going on and I spray on some Bactine and walk away.

Advent is a time of “something going on.”  It’s not a leak or a gush through the ceiling, but restoration brought about by a tiny baby.  He was born to hardworking, humble people, yet He was all we would ever need.  God With Us knows how to fix the leaks in our lives with more than a dab of ointment or a sort-of solution.

The original Christmas was full of problems and mess.  My season has had its challenges – moving (who does that during the Holidays?), commuting, the early arrival of a granddaughter; paper and boxes are strewn around and not in the good way like after opening presents. 

Many of you out there don’t look forward to Christmas.  You have leaks and drips.  I do too, but I’ve been conscious of the arrival of the One who is able to repair stuff properly.  And you know what happens when He’s done?  He runs a bath for me and puts bubbles in it.

Enjoying a curious Advent Season …

Missy


If you have been mildly amused, challenged or inspired by what you have read, please pass on my blog to a friend, colleague, family member or even random acquaintance



Comments

  1. It sounds like everything that could go wrong did and you should have your quota for the next year. Yes, moving at Christmas is not a good thing to do. It's hard even if you do it months before. I hope this is the worst thing that happens to you and the rest is all good. Merry Christmas to you and yours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, Marlene...we are more than blessed this Christmas, even with all the "stuff." Our tiniest granddaughter was born a week ago...six weeks early. She is healthy, whole and got to go home yesterday! Everyone is amazed. We are thankful. A very special gift for this Christmas. Merry Christmas to you, and your family!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

road tripping: french glen and steens mountain

we took a stinkin' lot of dirt roads, but i wouldn't have it any other way The drive wasn’t long by west coast standards, a mere few of hours; which meant there was plenty of leisure (interpreted coffee time) before leaving on another road trip escapade.  I can’t begin to tell you how much fun it is to pack a bag, gas up the car and set out to see what can be seen. An interesting thing I’ve discovered on these exploits, is that having lived in Oregon for the majority of my life, I’ve missed “seeing” a lot of things. You know, I think we all get into the habit of going to the same places, which is a good thing, but we forget about the “other” places that are right in our own backyards. Case in point, yesterday afternoon, when my darling man and I went to Tumalo Falls. I’ve been to Skyliner Snow Park, but never gone the few more dirt road miles to see the falls. Holy cow! Is that lame, or what? a sweet little place, no frills, but plenty of yesteryear ...

urban girl in the country

green in concrete For the last lot-of-years I’ve lived in urban areas.  I’ve become a city girl with hints of a flower child mixed with hipster nuances…translated I like to wear skinny jeans.  This is the total opposite of how I grew up, which was on a farm.  My paternal grandparents grew, raised, caught and hunted for everything they ate – radical organic, free-range stuff.  On my Mom’s side of the fam tree, there were green grocers and orchard growers.  Heck, I was in 4-H raising feeder calves and a small flock of wooly sheep.  Gardens, canning, freezing and preserving everything was the ordinary. I carried on the gardening-preserving, saving the spoils piece, until I found myself in fresh veggie-at-a-farmer’s-market heaven!  The foreign city I found myself in had a temperate climate where fruit and vegetables could be grown year ‘round, and … it was sold at a giant open air market every week.  Yippee!  I no longer needed to ...

wishing flower, vulnerable and beautiful

do you see a weed or a wish? Let’s just say, I’m not an early morning girl.  Those who know me appreciate this and quietly leave me alone until I’ve had a chance to emerge from my pre-coffee zombie state.  However, there is a bird glee club that begins at about 3:30, yes in the morning.  It’s lovely and melodic; leaving me no choice but to listen.  Translated, this means I’ve been up before my norm.  The youthful hours are warm, but fresh; they beg for a walk, and so does Isabella. Yesterday was a little cooler so our pace was speedy, at least for my little legs.  We passed cars and bushes and bugs zipping around … and the rejected weed. pulled up by its roots discarded wishing flower tossed aside left at the edge of the sidewalk the sun beat down life ebbing from the slender stalk, leaves drying, privately curling desperate to hold onto being funny , how I noticed the thrown-away on a morning walk my thought to stop and ...