Skip to main content

The Writing on the Wall

 A place or religious community regarded as sacredly devoted to God
Free On-Line Dictionary
I love wandering around our city; finding the most interesting things in somewhat random places.

A few Saturdays ago we were in search of a particular food cart that specializes in grown-up grilled cheese sammies, cheese plates and well, a lot of things “cheese.”  The cart is located on Northeast Alberta, an area we often frequent.  We dined al fresco on melted goodness – mine was layers of roasted golden beets with habanero cheese – delightful!   Lonny’s choice was pickled egg with dill cheddar – more toasty gooeyness.

Deciding to walk around the neighborhood, we discovered an adjacent vacant lot with graffiti on the wall.  No big deal, right?  After all, we do live in a city; you see the scrawls all the time.  However, as we approached the side of the building the word “Zion” had been sprayed over the multiple layers of writings.  Lon snapped a quick picture with his phone.  Fascinating…the end.  Not quite.

Maybe, this was a “writing on the wall” moment.  You see, Portland is exceptionally un-churched and is very much a me-centric culture; yet at the same time very community minded.  The profound message to me was Zion, which represents God’s chosen, was present in this abandoned lot.  It was inscribed over the top of the existing scribbles.

As we live in our communities are we etching the word “Zion” over the unoccupied places in people’s lives?  There’s a lot of lost-ness happening…even with what looks like successful lives.  Look at the expressions you see. 

Zion also stands for community.  When you are out walking, eating at a food cart or attending a concert in the park, participate, engage in conversation.  Our lives should be the “writing on the wall.”

Wandering and discovering ~ Missy

Comments

  1. A sign I saw in Portland says, "Keep Portland Weird" ZION is desperately needed there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There certainly is a lot of "weirdness" here ... people who are desperate. That's why we are here.

      Delete
  2. Very thought provoking. I did not know Portland was an "un-churched" community. That could start a long conversation. Especially since I'm relatively new here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are relatively new as well ... almost two years, and are still discovering so much. The need is great in our City. It gives us a sense of purpose and mission - loving God and loving people.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

road tripping: french glen and steens mountain

we took a stinkin' lot of dirt roads, but i wouldn't have it any other way The drive wasn’t long by west coast standards, a mere few of hours; which meant there was plenty of leisure (interpreted coffee time) before leaving on another road trip escapade.  I can’t begin to tell you how much fun it is to pack a bag, gas up the car and set out to see what can be seen. An interesting thing I’ve discovered on these exploits, is that having lived in Oregon for the majority of my life, I’ve missed “seeing” a lot of things. You know, I think we all get into the habit of going to the same places, which is a good thing, but we forget about the “other” places that are right in our own backyards. Case in point, yesterday afternoon, when my darling man and I went to Tumalo Falls. I’ve been to Skyliner Snow Park, but never gone the few more dirt road miles to see the falls. Holy cow! Is that lame, or what? a sweet little place, no frills, but plenty of yesteryear ...

urban girl in the country

green in concrete For the last lot-of-years I’ve lived in urban areas.  I’ve become a city girl with hints of a flower child mixed with hipster nuances…translated I like to wear skinny jeans.  This is the total opposite of how I grew up, which was on a farm.  My paternal grandparents grew, raised, caught and hunted for everything they ate – radical organic, free-range stuff.  On my Mom’s side of the fam tree, there were green grocers and orchard growers.  Heck, I was in 4-H raising feeder calves and a small flock of wooly sheep.  Gardens, canning, freezing and preserving everything was the ordinary. I carried on the gardening-preserving, saving the spoils piece, until I found myself in fresh veggie-at-a-farmer’s-market heaven!  The foreign city I found myself in had a temperate climate where fruit and vegetables could be grown year ‘round, and … it was sold at a giant open air market every week.  Yippee!  I no longer needed to ...

wishing flower, vulnerable and beautiful

do you see a weed or a wish? Let’s just say, I’m not an early morning girl.  Those who know me appreciate this and quietly leave me alone until I’ve had a chance to emerge from my pre-coffee zombie state.  However, there is a bird glee club that begins at about 3:30, yes in the morning.  It’s lovely and melodic; leaving me no choice but to listen.  Translated, this means I’ve been up before my norm.  The youthful hours are warm, but fresh; they beg for a walk, and so does Isabella. Yesterday was a little cooler so our pace was speedy, at least for my little legs.  We passed cars and bushes and bugs zipping around … and the rejected weed. pulled up by its roots discarded wishing flower tossed aside left at the edge of the sidewalk the sun beat down life ebbing from the slender stalk, leaves drying, privately curling desperate to hold onto being funny , how I noticed the thrown-away on a morning walk my thought to stop and ...