Skip to main content

To be a published writer...

Being a person travelling through life, you find the way is not always filled with straight paths and clearly marked road signs.  Usually, there winding roads, a few valleys and mountain passes, even a detour or two to negotiate before you reach just one of the dots on the map.

This past spring, I registered for a creative writing class.  And then re-registered for the summer term and now signed up once again for fall; following a path to…? 

Our instructor encourages us to write, be imaginative and think outside the norm.  She also suggested we submit pieces of our work to Oasis Journal; a publication for writers over 50.  Yes, I do have to publicly admit that I am over the half century mark, but that’s okay.  I’m one of the youngest in the class, yet find myself being tremendously inspired by the others.  They have gleaned so much for their years of living and traversing through life. 

To get back on track…I submitted a couple of stories and a handful of poems to Oasis.  About a week and a half ago, a letter arrived in the mail from Imago Press.  It started out, “I am pleased…”  And therefore, so was I! 


A short poem that I wrote for class, with the simple prompt of “a little paperwork to be done,” was chosen for publication in this year’s journal.  So, for my published writing debut, I give you…The Outhouse


Worn, weathered and wooden
Seat carved of one solid piece of oak
The daily trek from the main house
Rituals and nature calling
Sears and Roebuck Catalog at hand
There’s just a little paperwork to be done


Sometimes we all need a little encouragement to follow an interesting side road.  I certainly haven’t arrived, but I am maneuvering my way across the map of life.

Following a randomly, wandering lane ~ Missy

Comments

  1. Still laughing..I grew up on outhouses..although Grandman and Granddaddy did have tp...love it..Love you Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember that poem. It was so cute. Congrats on the Oasis publishing. I'm sure it's the first of many.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good job Missy...I loved the poem...and I too remember the outhouse very well :-)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

road tripping: french glen and steens mountain

we took a stinkin' lot of dirt roads, but i wouldn't have it any other way The drive wasn’t long by west coast standards, a mere few of hours; which meant there was plenty of leisure (interpreted coffee time) before leaving on another road trip escapade.  I can’t begin to tell you how much fun it is to pack a bag, gas up the car and set out to see what can be seen. An interesting thing I’ve discovered on these exploits, is that having lived in Oregon for the majority of my life, I’ve missed “seeing” a lot of things. You know, I think we all get into the habit of going to the same places, which is a good thing, but we forget about the “other” places that are right in our own backyards. Case in point, yesterday afternoon, when my darling man and I went to Tumalo Falls. I’ve been to Skyliner Snow Park, but never gone the few more dirt road miles to see the falls. Holy cow! Is that lame, or what? a sweet little place, no frills, but plenty of yesteryear ...

urban girl in the country

green in concrete For the last lot-of-years I’ve lived in urban areas.  I’ve become a city girl with hints of a flower child mixed with hipster nuances…translated I like to wear skinny jeans.  This is the total opposite of how I grew up, which was on a farm.  My paternal grandparents grew, raised, caught and hunted for everything they ate – radical organic, free-range stuff.  On my Mom’s side of the fam tree, there were green grocers and orchard growers.  Heck, I was in 4-H raising feeder calves and a small flock of wooly sheep.  Gardens, canning, freezing and preserving everything was the ordinary. I carried on the gardening-preserving, saving the spoils piece, until I found myself in fresh veggie-at-a-farmer’s-market heaven!  The foreign city I found myself in had a temperate climate where fruit and vegetables could be grown year ‘round, and … it was sold at a giant open air market every week.  Yippee!  I no longer needed to ...

wishing flower, vulnerable and beautiful

do you see a weed or a wish? Let’s just say, I’m not an early morning girl.  Those who know me appreciate this and quietly leave me alone until I’ve had a chance to emerge from my pre-coffee zombie state.  However, there is a bird glee club that begins at about 3:30, yes in the morning.  It’s lovely and melodic; leaving me no choice but to listen.  Translated, this means I’ve been up before my norm.  The youthful hours are warm, but fresh; they beg for a walk, and so does Isabella. Yesterday was a little cooler so our pace was speedy, at least for my little legs.  We passed cars and bushes and bugs zipping around … and the rejected weed. pulled up by its roots discarded wishing flower tossed aside left at the edge of the sidewalk the sun beat down life ebbing from the slender stalk, leaves drying, privately curling desperate to hold onto being funny , how I noticed the thrown-away on a morning walk my thought to stop and ...