Skip to main content

Creative Writing 101

I have lots of words, or so I've been told on more than one occasion. 

Somehow, those words need to be used; writing seems to be a fairly productive use of my words.  Ergo:  I signed up for a Creative Writing class.  The format is very loose, lacking restraint, with an emphasis on being "creative."  I'm very intrigued.

One of the exercises involved a "prompt" word or phrase.  We are then given three to four minutes to simply write.  It was quite interesting how each of the thirteen students interpreted the phrases.  While some had similarities, others were so very unique, utilizing their own experiences as filters for expression.

I'll share one that I wrote.  The starter words were:  Story Teller
The circus came only once a year ... it was a big deal for our tiny town.  The colorful tents would rise to meet the blue sky, dotted with white, puffy clouds.  Lions, bears, elephants paced in their cages, waiting for their chance to perform in the ring under the Big Top.  Clowns danced and paraded, delighting the children.  But ... in a small booth down the midway was the storyteller...the man with the gray hair that could weave dreams into realities...
I'm excited to be challenging my mind this way.  It's amazing how you can come up with words when you are only given a few moments to jot things down.  Can you imagine the possibilities when you actually have time to think?

Words ... words ... words ~ Missy




Comments

  1. Very delightful and makes me want to go back to Lakeport where we had a circus come to town when you were very little..Mom

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

road tripping: french glen and steens mountain

we took a stinkin' lot of dirt roads, but i wouldn't have it any other way The drive wasn’t long by west coast standards, a mere few of hours; which meant there was plenty of leisure (interpreted coffee time) before leaving on another road trip escapade.  I can’t begin to tell you how much fun it is to pack a bag, gas up the car and set out to see what can be seen. An interesting thing I’ve discovered on these exploits, is that having lived in Oregon for the majority of my life, I’ve missed “seeing” a lot of things. You know, I think we all get into the habit of going to the same places, which is a good thing, but we forget about the “other” places that are right in our own backyards. Case in point, yesterday afternoon, when my darling man and I went to Tumalo Falls. I’ve been to Skyliner Snow Park, but never gone the few more dirt road miles to see the falls. Holy cow! Is that lame, or what? a sweet little place, no frills, but plenty of yesteryear ...

urban girl in the country

green in concrete For the last lot-of-years I’ve lived in urban areas.  I’ve become a city girl with hints of a flower child mixed with hipster nuances…translated I like to wear skinny jeans.  This is the total opposite of how I grew up, which was on a farm.  My paternal grandparents grew, raised, caught and hunted for everything they ate – radical organic, free-range stuff.  On my Mom’s side of the fam tree, there were green grocers and orchard growers.  Heck, I was in 4-H raising feeder calves and a small flock of wooly sheep.  Gardens, canning, freezing and preserving everything was the ordinary. I carried on the gardening-preserving, saving the spoils piece, until I found myself in fresh veggie-at-a-farmer’s-market heaven!  The foreign city I found myself in had a temperate climate where fruit and vegetables could be grown year ‘round, and … it was sold at a giant open air market every week.  Yippee!  I no longer needed to ...

wishing flower, vulnerable and beautiful

do you see a weed or a wish? Let’s just say, I’m not an early morning girl.  Those who know me appreciate this and quietly leave me alone until I’ve had a chance to emerge from my pre-coffee zombie state.  However, there is a bird glee club that begins at about 3:30, yes in the morning.  It’s lovely and melodic; leaving me no choice but to listen.  Translated, this means I’ve been up before my norm.  The youthful hours are warm, but fresh; they beg for a walk, and so does Isabella. Yesterday was a little cooler so our pace was speedy, at least for my little legs.  We passed cars and bushes and bugs zipping around … and the rejected weed. pulled up by its roots discarded wishing flower tossed aside left at the edge of the sidewalk the sun beat down life ebbing from the slender stalk, leaves drying, privately curling desperate to hold onto being funny , how I noticed the thrown-away on a morning walk my thought to stop and ...