Skip to main content

Thanksgiving Eve-Eve

Thankful for this man
Just in case you didn’t know, today is Thanksgiving Eve-Eve.  Now you’re thinking, what?  Here’s how it is:  Thanksgiving is Thursday, so Wednesday would be Thanksgiving Eve and since this is Tuesday, it’s Eve-Eve.  Confused yet?

Since it is Eve-Eve most of us have our minds and selves working overtime in preparation for the gathering feast.  A trip to the market, and then another  to pick up more eggs…baking pies, cutting up sourdough for stuffing, cleaning the house, or at least running the vacuum…oh yeah, wrapping early presents that you want to send home with people to avoid shipping or trying to pack into your Mini Coop.  Frantic mania!  Maybe I’m only describing my life, but I have no doubt your story sounds just like mine – it’s called life.

I climbed out of bed around 5:30am – again.  (Side note:  I don’t get up at that time of day, ever!)  My coffee and devo time was quiet and peaceful, but as soon as that was done, my inner spring started winding tighter and tighter.  I could feel that deer-in-the-headlight look taking over – stink!  That is not how I want my Eve-Eve to be, or my Eve or my being in general.

A few things happened that turned my day around.  I remembered what I had read first thing in the morning:  Don’t get tired of doing what is good and right (Ephesians 6:9). Okay, I suspect this frantic mania isn’t very good for me or anyone else.  Next, my attentive husband stepped in and helped me wrap our Christmas presents.  He even baked the pumpkin pies – they look totally delish – and the cornbread for stuffing.  I love him.  And finally, I took a hot shower, lathering in lemon-verbena soap.

Attitude adjustment in place, I was now ready for the day’s undertakings; one of which occurred when Lonny and I went to a local bottle shop to pick up a few things.  We decided to have a glass of wine, ordered and sat down by a hipster-looking gal.  In a random conversation she shared that this would be the first Thanksgiving without her Dad.  He had passed away the end of May.  It was a very poignant few moments.  My heart, thoughts and prayers are with her and her family as they remember and are thankful.  We hugged and parted ways.  I don’t know if our paths will cross again, but I do know that small kindnesses matter.

On this Eve-Eve, I still have a lot of things on my to-do list, but I’m really grateful that I took time to unwind from my mania.  

Happy Thanksgiving Eve-Eve ~ Missy

If you have been mildly amused, challenged or inspired by what you have read, please pass on my blog to a friend, colleague, family member or even random acquaintance.



Comments

  1. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. I hit publish before and my message disappears. Nice post about relaxing a bit before the craziness starts. I'm always awake around 5 to do my journal and reading with my coffee. There were days gone by that had 20 for dinner. Now I get to be part of others big dinners. I cook a couple of side dishes to take along and I'm done. Other than the drive, it's a relaxing day.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

road tripping: french glen and steens mountain

we took a stinkin' lot of dirt roads, but i wouldn't have it any other way The drive wasn’t long by west coast standards, a mere few of hours; which meant there was plenty of leisure (interpreted coffee time) before leaving on another road trip escapade.  I can’t begin to tell you how much fun it is to pack a bag, gas up the car and set out to see what can be seen. An interesting thing I’ve discovered on these exploits, is that having lived in Oregon for the majority of my life, I’ve missed “seeing” a lot of things. You know, I think we all get into the habit of going to the same places, which is a good thing, but we forget about the “other” places that are right in our own backyards. Case in point, yesterday afternoon, when my darling man and I went to Tumalo Falls. I’ve been to Skyliner Snow Park, but never gone the few more dirt road miles to see the falls. Holy cow! Is that lame, or what? a sweet little place, no frills, but plenty of yesteryear

lent, not lint

says it all - the grotto It sticks to your clothes and shows up splendidly on black, it gets caught on the screen in the dryer and socks elaborately decorate your toes with the stuff.  Yep, lint:  the fuzzy, ravelings of fabric that cling to everything; like Velcro, only different. Lint actually has a purpose.  By scraping it from linen it can be made into a soft, fleecy fabric.  Cotton staple – lint fibers – are spun into yarn.  While all of this is riveting, especially while staring at the lint in your belly-button, there’s more to Lent than its sound doppelganger. lint: fluffy, minute shreds of yarn lent: a season of preparation These two tiny words sound similar in our vernacular, but have massively different implications in our lives.  We clean-up lint and toss it in the trash.  Lent, however is a prepping time for us to realize we’re not great at cleaning up our own stuff. Lent was originally a season between winter and summer, now called spring.  The s

pebbles

strewn pebbles Walking on the path I noticed the pebbles. I stopped and picked one up, holding it in my hand to feel it’s texture. Tiny and smooth, it felt warm from the sun. Continuing on my walk, the way was scattered with pebbles of different shapes and sizes; some flat and polished, others round and craggy with sharp edges that could cut the skin. I considered the meaning, if any. Some had been sanded to perfection by time and wear. Others recently broken and chipped were harsh, ugly to feel and look at. No matter, all were pebbles; that was fact. Missy If you have been mildly amused, challenged or inspired by what you have read, please pass on my blog to a friend, colleague, family member or even random acquaintance