Skip to main content

Where's my sanitizer?

Some may say I’m a germaphobe, but actually, I just don’t like mud

A number of years ago we lived in Australia and went on oodles of adventurous missions with our kids.  One such escapade found me waist deep in mud.  Not a good thing for someone who does not like muck.  This mire was not the nice kind like used in soothing facials or cleansing mud baths.  A big Scotty no!  It was bug-infested, algae-laden, brackish, wet decay-type of sludge-mud.

germ.a.phobe:  Any person who is obsessed with cleanliness and defeating bacteria. These individuals will turn on faucets with their elbows and hand sanitize on an hourly basis.  - Urban Dictionary

Yanchep was the day’s destination.  There were kangaroos, koalas, caves, hiking trails and plenty of sites for having a picnic.  We decided to join one of the guided bushwalks.  The instructions included wearing clothes and shoes that you didn’t mind getting wet.  The tour of this bush area would involve some dampness on the trail.  No problem; I can handle a muddy trail.  We signed up and set off on the bush, uh, swamp exploration.

It started out all well and dandy.  Walking along, listening to our guide; learning of the local flora and a few fauna species – mostly birds and lizards – hearing the squawking kookaburras laugh.  Our intrepid scout trekked on, giving the advice to watch our steps as we were about to cross a creek. 

You call that a creek?  It appeared more like a slurry of bog dung!

Cautiously maneuvering the uneven bottom, I soon found the only hole in the stream bed, plunging into the brackish, wet decay described so endearingly above.  Everyone else?  Only ankle or shin deep … all while hearing the belly-laughs of my loving family.  Throw the nano-second rule out the window!  This quagmire is what they named the Black Lagoon after.

In our travel through the years, we will encounter pond scum, truly and in essence.  Daily grime clings to us, staining our clothing and leaving hidden deposits of enough germs to make the most immune, unaware cringe.   

How do you deal with the grunge?  Are you a brush-it-off and it will be okay type of person?  Or, do you grab the closest bottle of bleach and start scouring everything in sight?  A little dirt don’t hurt, but don’t go licking the catsup bottle at a restaurant.

Did I mention that I don’t like mud?

Missy

If you have been mildly amused, challenged or inspired by what you have read, please pass on my blog to a friend, colleague, family member or even random acquaintance.




Comments

  1. Oh my. That would be an uncomfortable experience. I have family, lots of cousins, that live in Australia and have always wanted to visit. My parents did many, many years ago. I'm not phobic about germs per se but do not like icky mud either. I'm with you on this one. Your description made me feel like I was there in it with you. Yuck, yuck, yuck. I'm not sure I would like Australia on the whole. Too many bugs and too warm. Kind of like Florida is my guess.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marlene, I think you would love Australia. There are many wonderful people, and the sights and sounds are so very different from anything I had ever experienced. If you go in the shoulder seasons, spring or fall, the temperatures are very moderate. Additionally, there are fewer people...I still don't like the mud, there or here!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

road tripping: french glen and steens mountain

we took a stinkin' lot of dirt roads, but i wouldn't have it any other way The drive wasn’t long by west coast standards, a mere few of hours; which meant there was plenty of leisure (interpreted coffee time) before leaving on another road trip escapade.  I can’t begin to tell you how much fun it is to pack a bag, gas up the car and set out to see what can be seen. An interesting thing I’ve discovered on these exploits, is that having lived in Oregon for the majority of my life, I’ve missed “seeing” a lot of things. You know, I think we all get into the habit of going to the same places, which is a good thing, but we forget about the “other” places that are right in our own backyards. Case in point, yesterday afternoon, when my darling man and I went to Tumalo Falls. I’ve been to Skyliner Snow Park, but never gone the few more dirt road miles to see the falls. Holy cow! Is that lame, or what? a sweet little place, no frills, but plenty of yesteryear

lent, not lint

says it all - the grotto It sticks to your clothes and shows up splendidly on black, it gets caught on the screen in the dryer and socks elaborately decorate your toes with the stuff.  Yep, lint:  the fuzzy, ravelings of fabric that cling to everything; like Velcro, only different. Lint actually has a purpose.  By scraping it from linen it can be made into a soft, fleecy fabric.  Cotton staple – lint fibers – are spun into yarn.  While all of this is riveting, especially while staring at the lint in your belly-button, there’s more to Lent than its sound doppelganger. lint: fluffy, minute shreds of yarn lent: a season of preparation These two tiny words sound similar in our vernacular, but have massively different implications in our lives.  We clean-up lint and toss it in the trash.  Lent, however is a prepping time for us to realize we’re not great at cleaning up our own stuff. Lent was originally a season between winter and summer, now called spring.  The s

pebbles

strewn pebbles Walking on the path I noticed the pebbles. I stopped and picked one up, holding it in my hand to feel it’s texture. Tiny and smooth, it felt warm from the sun. Continuing on my walk, the way was scattered with pebbles of different shapes and sizes; some flat and polished, others round and craggy with sharp edges that could cut the skin. I considered the meaning, if any. Some had been sanded to perfection by time and wear. Others recently broken and chipped were harsh, ugly to feel and look at. No matter, all were pebbles; that was fact. Missy If you have been mildly amused, challenged or inspired by what you have read, please pass on my blog to a friend, colleague, family member or even random acquaintance