Skip to main content

Last conversations

One of Dad's duties: driving the Army Chaplin
Time passes; our memories wear away.  So I’m scribbling memories on paper to file them in boxes in my mind.

Friday marks an indelible day.  It’s when my Dad left his earth suit.  He’d been living with congestive heart failure for a number of years.  We were never totally surprised to receive the “Dad’s been transported to the hospital” phone call.  This was just another of th0se occasions. 

Visiting at the hospital, Dad looked fine or at least a fine as you can with IVs and monitors.  We joked and he gave the nurses a hard time.  He enjoyed the teasing banter.

Memorial Day weekend was our annual slog to go camping in Central Oregon.  My brother and I decided we were going to stay home.  It just made sense, Dad was in the hospital.  Uh, oh…Dad was fit to be tied.  He told us we were not to change our plans.  If we didn’t go camping, he’d give us the what for.  Reluctantly, we agreed to his wishes.

Leaving the room, I commented to my brother, “One of these times Dad won’t be leaving the hospital.”  A very somber statement; that was the last time I saw my Dad.

Following his desire, we packed our tent trailer with the necessary junk.  Arriving at Fall River late in the afternoon, we set up our glam camp and enjoyed cocktail hour by the fire.  I talked with Dad before we left; told him I’d phone around bedtime, if the cell reception was okay.  It was always on the sketchy side.

Evening lingered, so I went to the trailer to unearth my phone to call Dad.  I had crystal clear reception that night.  I rang his room.  He answered straight away and sounded good.  We chatted about our drive over the mountain, what he had for dinner, normal trivial stuff.  I remember Dad saying, “I bet the stars are beautiful there.” 

I stepped out the trailer door, looked at the sky and said, “Yes, they are brilliant.” 

They always are when you have uninterrupted skies.  I gave him my love, said goodnight and assured him I’d call in the morning.

Joining the others around the campfire, I passed on the news Dad was doing well and was about to go to sleep.

Bodily functions called, which meant a short trek to ode de outhouse.  I took the lantern and left.  On my way back, my husband met me and put his arms around me, “He’s gone…we just got the phone call.” 

“No…it can’t be.  I was just talking with him.”  He held me tight and let me cry. 

That was May 23rd, 11 years ago.  I can think about and share amusing, quirky things my Dad did with no sadness.  Writing this brings a few tears and a content smile; treasuring our last conversation, which is placed in the box labeled “Dad” in the archives of my mind.

Missy



If you have been mildly amused, challenged or inspired by what you have read, please pass on my blog to a friend, colleague, family member or even random acquaintance

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

road tripping: french glen and steens mountain

we took a stinkin' lot of dirt roads, but i wouldn't have it any other way The drive wasn’t long by west coast standards, a mere few of hours; which meant there was plenty of leisure (interpreted coffee time) before leaving on another road trip escapade.  I can’t begin to tell you how much fun it is to pack a bag, gas up the car and set out to see what can be seen. An interesting thing I’ve discovered on these exploits, is that having lived in Oregon for the majority of my life, I’ve missed “seeing” a lot of things. You know, I think we all get into the habit of going to the same places, which is a good thing, but we forget about the “other” places that are right in our own backyards. Case in point, yesterday afternoon, when my darling man and I went to Tumalo Falls. I’ve been to Skyliner Snow Park, but never gone the few more dirt road miles to see the falls. Holy cow! Is that lame, or what? a sweet little place, no frills, but plenty of yesteryear

lent, not lint

says it all - the grotto It sticks to your clothes and shows up splendidly on black, it gets caught on the screen in the dryer and socks elaborately decorate your toes with the stuff.  Yep, lint:  the fuzzy, ravelings of fabric that cling to everything; like Velcro, only different. Lint actually has a purpose.  By scraping it from linen it can be made into a soft, fleecy fabric.  Cotton staple – lint fibers – are spun into yarn.  While all of this is riveting, especially while staring at the lint in your belly-button, there’s more to Lent than its sound doppelganger. lint: fluffy, minute shreds of yarn lent: a season of preparation These two tiny words sound similar in our vernacular, but have massively different implications in our lives.  We clean-up lint and toss it in the trash.  Lent, however is a prepping time for us to realize we’re not great at cleaning up our own stuff. Lent was originally a season between winter and summer, now called spring.  The s

pebbles

strewn pebbles Walking on the path I noticed the pebbles. I stopped and picked one up, holding it in my hand to feel it’s texture. Tiny and smooth, it felt warm from the sun. Continuing on my walk, the way was scattered with pebbles of different shapes and sizes; some flat and polished, others round and craggy with sharp edges that could cut the skin. I considered the meaning, if any. Some had been sanded to perfection by time and wear. Others recently broken and chipped were harsh, ugly to feel and look at. No matter, all were pebbles; that was fact. Missy If you have been mildly amused, challenged or inspired by what you have read, please pass on my blog to a friend, colleague, family member or even random acquaintance