Skip to main content

More than statistics...life!

Young eyes, twinkling with mischief
I was given the privilege of writing an obituary for my father-in-law this last week.  It seems like I have a theme going here, but it is all good.  This is a reminiscent rendering of the official account.  Dad Kitchell was a good man and will be missed by people around the world.  He travelled to 48 different countries, spreading the good news of great joy.  That is how I choose to remember him as well…full of lively merriment!

Jim Kitchell lived.

He was more than statistics on a page; a man of the cloth, an adventurer; my daddy-in-law’s commanding presence filled a room.

Jimmy, as his mother called him, was born on October 30, 1929 in Denton, Montana to Dewey and Ruth Kitchell.  They named their baby boy James Bruce.  He was surrounded by four sisters:  Gayle, Virginia, Joanne and Jeanne.  He delighted in pestering them with his antics.  His quick wit and endearing smile charmed all.

Never one to sit on the sideline, Dad plunged into every task set before him – farming (His thumb was green.  He always gave me a hard time about how his tomatoes were ready to pick when mine were still in the thought process), a stint in the Navy and travelling the world to share the fabulous news of Jesus.  Devotion, passion and loved marked his life.  Dad could rattle off every car he ever owned.  He never met a stranger and could whip up a peach pie with a flaky crust, assuring me that I could do the same.  My crusts were never like his, and I do need to remember to add a pinch of nutmeg as well as the lemon zest to my strawberry shortcakes.

He left us on Wednesday, June 4, 2014, while riding his scooter in Boulder City, Nevada, the wind blowing his wispy hair.  This 84 year young wasn’t slowed down by anything.  No loss or heartache, like losing his oldest daughter, could replace the deep abiding faith and joy tucked into his being.

Those who are left, family and friends, are inspired to go everywhere, live wisely, laugh heartily and love in full abandon, knowing that faith puts Jesus in control. 

Romans was Dad’s favorite book in the Bible.  Chapter 12 verse 13 says, “Share with the Lord’s people in need.  Practice hospitality.” He did that!  So, “let the peace of Christ be in control of your heart.”  (Colossians 3:15)

Echoing in my ears… “Miss, can you fix me a cup of tea?”

Missy


If you have been mildly amused, challenged or inspired by what you have read, please pass on my blog to a friend, colleague, family member or even random acquaintance



Comments

  1. My child, you have covered Jim's life in a nutshell..I was so blessed to hear him teach on Romans 5 two weeks prior to him entering Heaven's Gates. He will be missed, but oh the seeds he as sown, and lives he has touched. I spent a week of remembering all the good times we all had has family as well as some of the hard times..but Kitch was steadfast in his love for the Lord and what God could and would do in all of our lives. Love Mom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I think there's a bunch of remembering going on. Many smiles through the drippy eyes.

      Delete
  2. I think that is the most beautifully written eulogy I have ever read, Missy. I would be proud had it been mine. I am so sorry for your loss. Those empty spaces never quite get filled by anyone else. You just keep filling them with the memories. So beautiful! Hugs, Marlene

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Marlene. My daddy-in-law was a very special man to me and so many others. I have memories that could fill pages and pages.

      Delete
  3. That was the most beautiful eulogy I have ever read, Missy. I am so sorry for your family's loss. The hole someone leaves behind in your heart can only be filled with memory of them. Hugs, Marlene

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

road tripping: french glen and steens mountain

we took a stinkin' lot of dirt roads, but i wouldn't have it any other way The drive wasn’t long by west coast standards, a mere few of hours; which meant there was plenty of leisure (interpreted coffee time) before leaving on another road trip escapade.  I can’t begin to tell you how much fun it is to pack a bag, gas up the car and set out to see what can be seen. An interesting thing I’ve discovered on these exploits, is that having lived in Oregon for the majority of my life, I’ve missed “seeing” a lot of things. You know, I think we all get into the habit of going to the same places, which is a good thing, but we forget about the “other” places that are right in our own backyards. Case in point, yesterday afternoon, when my darling man and I went to Tumalo Falls. I’ve been to Skyliner Snow Park, but never gone the few more dirt road miles to see the falls. Holy cow! Is that lame, or what? a sweet little place, no frills, but plenty of yesteryear

lent, not lint

says it all - the grotto It sticks to your clothes and shows up splendidly on black, it gets caught on the screen in the dryer and socks elaborately decorate your toes with the stuff.  Yep, lint:  the fuzzy, ravelings of fabric that cling to everything; like Velcro, only different. Lint actually has a purpose.  By scraping it from linen it can be made into a soft, fleecy fabric.  Cotton staple – lint fibers – are spun into yarn.  While all of this is riveting, especially while staring at the lint in your belly-button, there’s more to Lent than its sound doppelganger. lint: fluffy, minute shreds of yarn lent: a season of preparation These two tiny words sound similar in our vernacular, but have massively different implications in our lives.  We clean-up lint and toss it in the trash.  Lent, however is a prepping time for us to realize we’re not great at cleaning up our own stuff. Lent was originally a season between winter and summer, now called spring.  The s

pebbles

strewn pebbles Walking on the path I noticed the pebbles. I stopped and picked one up, holding it in my hand to feel it’s texture. Tiny and smooth, it felt warm from the sun. Continuing on my walk, the way was scattered with pebbles of different shapes and sizes; some flat and polished, others round and craggy with sharp edges that could cut the skin. I considered the meaning, if any. Some had been sanded to perfection by time and wear. Others recently broken and chipped were harsh, ugly to feel and look at. No matter, all were pebbles; that was fact. Missy If you have been mildly amused, challenged or inspired by what you have read, please pass on my blog to a friend, colleague, family member or even random acquaintance