Skip to main content

Snippets, mist and controlling the wind

misty morning looking out at Depot Bay
Just like everyone else trying to cram in more sun-filled excitement, last week was our final getaway for the summer.  We had time with our kids and grandkids on both ends, but sandwiched in between was a couple of days at the beach.

I adore the beach!  Warm and sandy or a stormy, craggy perch to view, like the gulls...ahhh, I’m smitten.  The melody of the waves crashing or gently lapping is quieting and cathartic; I’m infinitely aware of how small I am in contrast to the vast sea.

The snippet of down time plopped in the center of an upending, brutal few months was just what my soul needed.  Breathing musty, salt air, allowing the wind to pummel sand against me – which by the way, gives you perfect beach hair, not the try-to-get-it from-a-bottle-type – and time to write.  Observation:   My last post was three weeks ago…that’s sad-sack stuff.

dis-si-pate
disperse, scatter, squander, separate into parts and disappear or go away

A couple of days prior to arriving at the beach, the word dissipation came up in a devo I was reading.  How it was used fascinated me because it wasn’t the norm – like to evaporate.  Doing the trendy thing, I googled it; discovering an interesting definition:  to spread thin, losing effectiveness.

Watching out the window at the bay, I saw this happen.  Mist surrounded the town and headland, swirling with the changing winds; a game of hide and seek.  As quickly as it formed, it would dissipate – becoming translucent, revealing the scenery.  In the frolicking game, the mist was effective at obscuring the view, but then it would vanish, scattering in the current.

An interesting dilemma mimicked:  How often do I become like the mist?  Cold hard truth?  More than I care to acknowledge; winds of worry and doubt…blustery busyness …squalls of  chaos and upheaval…breezes of too much contentment and disengagement, blowing from who knows where.

I can’t control the wind, but I can choose to be set so I don’t dissipate.  The kelp growing in the bay waters are fixed to the bottom.  They are tossed in the faux wind and mist that the waves create, but stay put, flourishing.  I do adore the beach! 

The sun broke through the early morning mist, (I even took a few shrouded shots at 3:30am - I'm not a morning girl), tiny shards of beach glass were collected and glasses of cream sherry, warmed by the day were shared.

I’m getting all misty, but in a good way…

Missy



If you have been mildly amused, challenged or inspired by what you have read, please pass on my blog to a friend, colleague, family member or even random acquaintance

Comments

  1. I believe this word dissipate applies to all of us who either going through or will be dealing with the changing winds of change..Welcome back...beaches are good...Love Mom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. The nice part about wind is that it sends us in a direction and freshens the air!

      Delete
  2. Nice description of the misty days we had while there. We sat and watched it with fascination.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marlene, I could sit and watch the ocean for a life time and never get bored. It's always changing.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

road tripping: french glen and steens mountain

we took a stinkin' lot of dirt roads, but i wouldn't have it any other way The drive wasn’t long by west coast standards, a mere few of hours; which meant there was plenty of leisure (interpreted coffee time) before leaving on another road trip escapade.  I can’t begin to tell you how much fun it is to pack a bag, gas up the car and set out to see what can be seen. An interesting thing I’ve discovered on these exploits, is that having lived in Oregon for the majority of my life, I’ve missed “seeing” a lot of things. You know, I think we all get into the habit of going to the same places, which is a good thing, but we forget about the “other” places that are right in our own backyards. Case in point, yesterday afternoon, when my darling man and I went to Tumalo Falls. I’ve been to Skyliner Snow Park, but never gone the few more dirt road miles to see the falls. Holy cow! Is that lame, or what? a sweet little place, no frills, but plenty of yesteryear

lent, not lint

says it all - the grotto It sticks to your clothes and shows up splendidly on black, it gets caught on the screen in the dryer and socks elaborately decorate your toes with the stuff.  Yep, lint:  the fuzzy, ravelings of fabric that cling to everything; like Velcro, only different. Lint actually has a purpose.  By scraping it from linen it can be made into a soft, fleecy fabric.  Cotton staple – lint fibers – are spun into yarn.  While all of this is riveting, especially while staring at the lint in your belly-button, there’s more to Lent than its sound doppelganger. lint: fluffy, minute shreds of yarn lent: a season of preparation These two tiny words sound similar in our vernacular, but have massively different implications in our lives.  We clean-up lint and toss it in the trash.  Lent, however is a prepping time for us to realize we’re not great at cleaning up our own stuff. Lent was originally a season between winter and summer, now called spring.  The s

pebbles

strewn pebbles Walking on the path I noticed the pebbles. I stopped and picked one up, holding it in my hand to feel it’s texture. Tiny and smooth, it felt warm from the sun. Continuing on my walk, the way was scattered with pebbles of different shapes and sizes; some flat and polished, others round and craggy with sharp edges that could cut the skin. I considered the meaning, if any. Some had been sanded to perfection by time and wear. Others recently broken and chipped were harsh, ugly to feel and look at. No matter, all were pebbles; that was fact. Missy If you have been mildly amused, challenged or inspired by what you have read, please pass on my blog to a friend, colleague, family member or even random acquaintance