Skip to main content

Muse in the form of grape juice

Sweet dripping clusters
Yesterday afternoon I sat staring at my notebook, pen in hand, but no thoughts.  I flipped through some previously sketched out pieces and thought, “I got nothing.”  Big sigh, looked at photos for muse clarity, and still nada, zip, zilch.  That’s it; I no longer have anything to write – right – I have words, but not sentences?

Still seeking my brainchild of illumination, I decided to do what any good writer would:   make grape juice.  It just so happens, that the previous night we had picked a colossal-sized bowl full of green (I think Chardonnay) grapes from the trellis above our patio.  Those translucent chartreuse tidbits have been oozing nectar-sweet juice all over the furniture and concrete; a definite indication that they needed to come down from their loft.

A couple of years ago I made the mistake of not harvesting the grapes before the downpours started.  Talk about a slippery slope of an ice rink; who knew overripe grapes could become such a smarmy mess?  Needless to say, I learned my lesson.  Don’t wait to pick the grapes or you will be shoveling sticky, grunge.

The stainless steel magnanimous bowl of peridot beauties took up a good chunk of the kitchen counter and fruit flies were doing aerial acrobatics; it was time to roll up my sleeves.  The only issue was I had never made grape juice.  Oh, I’ve had home-made grape juice heaps of times, thanks to someone else’s labors.  Enter my trusty computer and a google search.

Jackpot!  The process was pretty simple:  gather and wash grapes, remove from stems, mash to release juice, simmer for 10 minutes and put through a sieve…booya!   Confession:  the most grueling part was taking the grapes off the stems; so much hard, tedious plucking.  Dang!  Why haven’t I squirrelled this lovely liquid before?

A few hours later, I’m sitting, rat-a-tatting at the computer.  I have gorgeous containers of juice to pop into the freezer or make into slather-worthy jelly and I have brought back words that fit into sentences.  I just needed to follow the lure of the fruit flies.

Writing with sticky fingers that are swatting bugs…

Missy



If you have been mildly amused, challenged or inspired by what you have read, please pass on my blog to a friend, colleague, family member or even random acquaintance

Comments

  1. I've been reluctant to grow grapes.I was told by the landscape architect that I worked for, that's where black widow spiders hide. If I ever get the courage to give it a try, it sounds fun other than the fruit flies. I have a cup of apple cider vinegar on the counter as I write this to get those coming from the fruit my sister brings in. I hate bugs. But at least you have sentences again. I just need time to put them together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Marlene...your description of grape vines sounds like the beginning to a Halloween story...all spooky and mysterious. I do have spiders (like everyone else this time of year) but no black widows!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

lent, not lint

says it all - the grotto It sticks to your clothes and shows up splendidly on black, it gets caught on the screen in the dryer and socks elaborately decorate your toes with the stuff.  Yep, lint:  the fuzzy, ravelings of fabric that cling to everything; like Velcro, only different. Lint actually has a purpose.  By scraping it from linen it can be made into a soft, fleecy fabric.  Cotton staple – lint fibers – are spun into yarn.  While all of this is riveting, especially while staring at the lint in your belly-button, there’s more to Lent than its sound doppelganger. lint: fluffy, minute shreds of yarn lent: a season of preparation These two tiny words sound similar in our vernacular, but have massively different implications in our lives.  We clean-up lint and toss it in the trash.  Lent, however is a prepping time for us to realize we’re not great at cleaning up our own stuff. Lent was originally a season between winter and summer, now called spring.  The s

road tripping: french glen and steens mountain

we took a stinkin' lot of dirt roads, but i wouldn't have it any other way The drive wasn’t long by west coast standards, a mere few of hours; which meant there was plenty of leisure (interpreted coffee time) before leaving on another road trip escapade.  I can’t begin to tell you how much fun it is to pack a bag, gas up the car and set out to see what can be seen. An interesting thing I’ve discovered on these exploits, is that having lived in Oregon for the majority of my life, I’ve missed “seeing” a lot of things. You know, I think we all get into the habit of going to the same places, which is a good thing, but we forget about the “other” places that are right in our own backyards. Case in point, yesterday afternoon, when my darling man and I went to Tumalo Falls. I’ve been to Skyliner Snow Park, but never gone the few more dirt road miles to see the falls. Holy cow! Is that lame, or what? a sweet little place, no frills, but plenty of yesteryear

pebbles

strewn pebbles Walking on the path I noticed the pebbles. I stopped and picked one up, holding it in my hand to feel it’s texture. Tiny and smooth, it felt warm from the sun. Continuing on my walk, the way was scattered with pebbles of different shapes and sizes; some flat and polished, others round and craggy with sharp edges that could cut the skin. I considered the meaning, if any. Some had been sanded to perfection by time and wear. Others recently broken and chipped were harsh, ugly to feel and look at. No matter, all were pebbles; that was fact. Missy If you have been mildly amused, challenged or inspired by what you have read, please pass on my blog to a friend, colleague, family member or even random acquaintance