Skip to main content

must - have - coffee!

coffee cupping at Thump
I have a dilemma of almost epic proportions.  Having moved to a new town means finding a new coffee joint to frequent.  My go-to spot in the Portland area was Wind Horse in Milwaukie.  They served up a honey latte that was crazy awesome – you know just the right amount of creamy foam and honey all swirled with robust coffee.

Local roasters like Stumptown, Blue Kangaroo and St. Johns each have a different persona, much like establishments that serve their electrifying brew.   Coffee houses have their own vibe and beat, so it’s hugely crucial to find the perfect sweet spot.  I must admit, in my search I might have been slightly over-caffeinated recently, but somehow, that hasn’t translated into more productivity.  Wondering why on that one…

So, here’s what I look for in a good coffee hang-out:  Of paramount importance is that they serve really good coffee; none of that freeze-dried, stuffed-in-a-can and drug out of the refrigerator stuff.  Nope, it needs to be freshly roasted and ground just before being drenched in really, really hot water, nothing tepid here!  Music is vital to the ambiance, you know, the alternative, Indie, minor sounds that float effortlessly filling any dead space.  There also needs to be a hum of activity – people coming and going, catching up, reading, checking email, that sort of stuff.  Are you getting a feel for my place?  Oh, yeah, they need to know my name.

These are the type of places I like to be; watching people, making up wild stories in my over-active mind; the busyness stirs my organic thoughts.  It’s like when you are brainstorming and one person’s ideas trigger more ideas.  Suddenly, you are reeling with stuff to think about, write about and do.  Seems a little insane, but I thrive on the energy. 

Mental picture…

3:58pm
the coffee house vibrates with sound
mellow Indie music mixes with crescendo hum of voices
intermingling orders and conversations
an organic ebb and flow of bodies
sipping in the elixir of dark, heady brews
softened by cream and foam
pause …
afternoon pick-me-up, planning, strategizing
study tables, flirty high school date
furtive rendezvous
life beats to the aromas and sounds of the coffee house

“How am I doing in my search?”  Glad you asked, since I was going to tell you anyway.  I have sipped my way through six places, so far, including one “cupping.”   Wow, talk about getting the flavor and aroma.  It was certainly a full-sensory experience; think wine tasting, but with caffeine.    Outcome:  my inner-coffee-self hasn’t made a decision, but has without a doubt gulped down some good blends.

Seeking my coffee house sweet spot…

Missy



If you have been mildly amused, challenged or inspired by what you have read, please pass on my blog to a friend, colleague, family member or even random acquaintance

Comments

  1. Hi Missy - wow! I just found your blog - got an email from Google Plus that recommended it, probably because your email address is in our contacts. Very nice, I am impressed - love the poetry and the food! I never knew that your dog Bella was named after Isabella Bird. I read a book by or about her many years ago, and really enjoyed it. I've often had fantasies throughout my life of being able to travel back in time and be a pioneering woman like her. Not sure I could handle it, but I sure would love to have seen the country back then, before it was settled and despoiled! I hope I can figure out how to subscribe. Good luck with your coffeehouse search, and I will definitely check out Wind Horse again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nancy! So glad that Google Plus got us linked up here! I was just thinking that I needed to send you an email ... just wondering about the grandbaby status and the remodel?

      I was so fascinated by the story of the real Isabella Bird. I had no idea before I started looking for a name for my blog. She was quite a lady, not without many challenges, but a very strong will and spirit.

      You should be able to subscribe by submitting your email address in the box where it says
      "keep us with the..." Thanks again for reading!

      Delete
  2. Love the coffee house blog..reminds when your brother Charlie and I sat on the sidewalk curb in Bend Oregon drinking latte..miss having a coffee houses here with real music and the hustle of life...Love Mom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, Mom ... didn't you say that there is a coffee shop in Pagosa that serves a honey latte? If not, maybe you should put a suggestion in the suggestion box?

      Delete
  3. Well described. I can feel it. Everything has an energy all its own so I get what you are looking for. I'm no coffee connoisseur but love the ambiance of a good coffee house. Good luck in your search. That's how you get to know a city by going to all the different places. Lot's of experience with that one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Marlene, the ambiance of a good place is sweet. You certainly have moved and know about re-settling. Are you starting to feel "settled" in your new home?

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

road tripping: french glen and steens mountain

we took a stinkin' lot of dirt roads, but i wouldn't have it any other way The drive wasn’t long by west coast standards, a mere few of hours; which meant there was plenty of leisure (interpreted coffee time) before leaving on another road trip escapade.  I can’t begin to tell you how much fun it is to pack a bag, gas up the car and set out to see what can be seen. An interesting thing I’ve discovered on these exploits, is that having lived in Oregon for the majority of my life, I’ve missed “seeing” a lot of things. You know, I think we all get into the habit of going to the same places, which is a good thing, but we forget about the “other” places that are right in our own backyards. Case in point, yesterday afternoon, when my darling man and I went to Tumalo Falls. I’ve been to Skyliner Snow Park, but never gone the few more dirt road miles to see the falls. Holy cow! Is that lame, or what? a sweet little place, no frills, but plenty of yesteryear

lent, not lint

says it all - the grotto It sticks to your clothes and shows up splendidly on black, it gets caught on the screen in the dryer and socks elaborately decorate your toes with the stuff.  Yep, lint:  the fuzzy, ravelings of fabric that cling to everything; like Velcro, only different. Lint actually has a purpose.  By scraping it from linen it can be made into a soft, fleecy fabric.  Cotton staple – lint fibers – are spun into yarn.  While all of this is riveting, especially while staring at the lint in your belly-button, there’s more to Lent than its sound doppelganger. lint: fluffy, minute shreds of yarn lent: a season of preparation These two tiny words sound similar in our vernacular, but have massively different implications in our lives.  We clean-up lint and toss it in the trash.  Lent, however is a prepping time for us to realize we’re not great at cleaning up our own stuff. Lent was originally a season between winter and summer, now called spring.  The s

pebbles

strewn pebbles Walking on the path I noticed the pebbles. I stopped and picked one up, holding it in my hand to feel it’s texture. Tiny and smooth, it felt warm from the sun. Continuing on my walk, the way was scattered with pebbles of different shapes and sizes; some flat and polished, others round and craggy with sharp edges that could cut the skin. I considered the meaning, if any. Some had been sanded to perfection by time and wear. Others recently broken and chipped were harsh, ugly to feel and look at. No matter, all were pebbles; that was fact. Missy If you have been mildly amused, challenged or inspired by what you have read, please pass on my blog to a friend, colleague, family member or even random acquaintance