Skip to main content

toss the box

i do adore sweetly scented unpredictable yellow roses
Ah, crap!  Valentine’s Day is Saturday - gotta make the reservations, grab the expected red roses, obligatory frilly box of cheap chocolates…dress-up, suck-it-up, put on the happy smile.  Sounds more like work or a sentence than a communication of feeling.

Why do we think we have to perform to the beat set by media, the norm, the predictable?  I, personally find that a phrase of soppiness that is made exclusively for me, is sweeter.  The tagline, “it’s the thought that counts,” is spot-on.

Let me give you a dirty example from a few remembrances back.  I enjoy being outside and wanted to create a new sitting garden.  It would be surrounded by heady lavender with a small gazing pool in the middle – and of course a bench to sit and well, gaze at whatever.  This was all in my mind’s eye, because the area was just straggly grass.  There were no pieces of muted slate marking a path, no steppable plantings that released their earthy fragrance when a foot pressed on them.  The lovely vision was merely a pipe-dream.

This is where my Sweet Remember-er came in.  You see, he takes notice of the 
things that I yammer on about.

My new Anthro came today and there’s a cute little dress…Oh, wouldn’t it be nice to have a place to sit and spoil ourselves in the back yard … I’ve been wanting to pick up that cookbook about salt...yada, yada, yada.

You get it; all those things that come out of our mouths without even thinking.  But, sometimes people are listening and making a mental note of those silly mutterings, which was the case with my sitting garden.

Guess what I got?  Yep, a giant load of dirt.  Not the icky clay-stuff that was native to our area, but the really good soil that is light and crumbles easily in your hand; full of humus and nutrients.  Plants beg to be planted in this substance.  My pile-o-earth even came with the labor to get the garden going.

The whole paying attention thing takes a bit of work.  It doesn’t come naturally, as we (meaning me) are pretty self-indulgent.  We think about ourselves and what we want; can you say, “Selfish- craving?”

I’ll just grab the box of chocolates and call it good.

Here’s the task for Valentine’s Day – by the way it’s Saturday, so you need to get on with it – create, prepare, purchase or do something that is special and specific for the one who is receiving your attention.  If they like peanuts buy a bag, sit on the front porch and spit the shells on the ground.  Maybe, they want you to read a comic book to them ‘cause they are way into old-school super heroes.  Even if they are chocoholics, you can suss out something out-of-the-ordinary.

Be meaningful; forget the predictable, toss the frilly box …

Missy


If you have been mildly amused, challenged or inspired by what you have read, please pass on my blog to a friend, colleague, family member or even random acquaintance







Comments

  1. still laughing...I would enjoy the soil...love ya Mom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, Mom, have you started plants for spring yet? It's been so mild here, I'm thinking about it ... but then I remind myself, it is only February in Central Oregon.

      Delete
  2. Loved the photo of the rose. My favorite color. I'm with you. I'd rather have the dirt and sitting area in the garden. Wouldn't mind some chocolate with it though. Expressions of love are different for everyone. We sure don't need Hallmark or Hershey's to tell us when and how to share that love. I love how you ramble on and your valentine still hears what's important.

    BTW, our classmate, Sabine started her blog if you are interested in stopping by.
    http://incahootswithmuddyboots.com/2015/02/12/mendocino-california/
    Keep in touch,
    M

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahhh yes, Marlene, the chocolate is good with the soil, of course while you are sitting! Personally, I'd really rather have French fries.

      Thanks for sharing about Sabine's blog, I will check it out. Give my best to all of our classmates. I do miss the class, interaction and input. Take care.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

road tripping: french glen and steens mountain

we took a stinkin' lot of dirt roads, but i wouldn't have it any other way The drive wasn’t long by west coast standards, a mere few of hours; which meant there was plenty of leisure (interpreted coffee time) before leaving on another road trip escapade.  I can’t begin to tell you how much fun it is to pack a bag, gas up the car and set out to see what can be seen. An interesting thing I’ve discovered on these exploits, is that having lived in Oregon for the majority of my life, I’ve missed “seeing” a lot of things. You know, I think we all get into the habit of going to the same places, which is a good thing, but we forget about the “other” places that are right in our own backyards. Case in point, yesterday afternoon, when my darling man and I went to Tumalo Falls. I’ve been to Skyliner Snow Park, but never gone the few more dirt road miles to see the falls. Holy cow! Is that lame, or what? a sweet little place, no frills, but plenty of yesteryear

lent, not lint

says it all - the grotto It sticks to your clothes and shows up splendidly on black, it gets caught on the screen in the dryer and socks elaborately decorate your toes with the stuff.  Yep, lint:  the fuzzy, ravelings of fabric that cling to everything; like Velcro, only different. Lint actually has a purpose.  By scraping it from linen it can be made into a soft, fleecy fabric.  Cotton staple – lint fibers – are spun into yarn.  While all of this is riveting, especially while staring at the lint in your belly-button, there’s more to Lent than its sound doppelganger. lint: fluffy, minute shreds of yarn lent: a season of preparation These two tiny words sound similar in our vernacular, but have massively different implications in our lives.  We clean-up lint and toss it in the trash.  Lent, however is a prepping time for us to realize we’re not great at cleaning up our own stuff. Lent was originally a season between winter and summer, now called spring.  The s

pebbles

strewn pebbles Walking on the path I noticed the pebbles. I stopped and picked one up, holding it in my hand to feel it’s texture. Tiny and smooth, it felt warm from the sun. Continuing on my walk, the way was scattered with pebbles of different shapes and sizes; some flat and polished, others round and craggy with sharp edges that could cut the skin. I considered the meaning, if any. Some had been sanded to perfection by time and wear. Others recently broken and chipped were harsh, ugly to feel and look at. No matter, all were pebbles; that was fact. Missy If you have been mildly amused, challenged or inspired by what you have read, please pass on my blog to a friend, colleague, family member or even random acquaintance