Skip to main content

aubergine in a diminutive community garden

farmers market find - fresh but not home-grown

I garden.  I don’t really call myself a gardener, that’s for the serious folks, to whom my hat goes off – often visiting their stalls at the farmers’ market.   I do like to have a small patch of stuff growing and definitely pots filled with fresh herbs to keep me happy.

This year, sort of by hook and a little crook, I became involved in a new community garden.  I’m on the steering committee which sounds more glamorous than it actually is.  It’s a balancing act dealing with the city parks department, interacting with the potential gardeners and the parks foundation which handles our funds.  Other than the initial rudimentary required paperwork, the rest has gone fairly smoothly; aside from critters of some munching ilk getting in and having their way with a few tomatoes, tender lettuce leaves and ah snap…peas.

Our garden has also had a steep learning curve in regards to soil condition.  It would seem what was installed in the raised beds needed more than a little amending.  Copious amounts of organic compost and fertilizer (which deciphered means poop – thanks to friendly cows and chickens) is just what was needed to jump start straggling plants.  At one point, I didn’t even have weeds growing.  Talk about being in starvation mode.  I’ve seen weeds grow out of a rock.

Now, I’m not going to pretend that Miller’s Landing Community Garden looks anything like Hollinshead, Northwest Crossing or Franklin’s Corner gardens, but for a first year upstart, hey we’re ok.  We are learning and growing, and most certainly experimenting in the dirt.

little fingers eggplant, blossoms of promise, all grown-up

For my diminutive garden, sizing in at 2’ x 10’, I wanted to plant some regulars, but also give a go at a couple of new plants.  My modernistic, but old school cultivar was eggplant, which I have a new love affair with.  

Since I have limited space, I found a variety that is called “Little Fingers,” which produces fruit about the size of small, perfect pan fry-able zucchini.  Much to my zippity-do-da  joy, when I visited my urban garden today, I had one baby aubergine ready to pick and several others that will be in the next few days, plus, plus pretty little pale purple blossoms heralding the news that more will be one their way.  Hands are clapping and face is smiling in case you were wondering about the appropriate emoticon to insert here.

I’m not quite sure what this cutie will be tucked into.  Maybe, as part of the veg-mix for tonight’s dinner of stuffed peppers or simply roasted on the grill, just as it is and then showered with the blessing of olive oil and sea salt.

eggplant parmesan

Just so I don’t leave you without a solid cooking thought, eggplant lend themselves to mixed preparations, crossing different cuisine genres.  Eggplant Parmesan, all saucy and quite cheesy sets the bar pretty high.  To me, ratatouille expands the seasons as a summer roast to go with grilled meat.  Yesterday, I made a colossal pan full, served with soft polenta and topped with Feta.  The left-overs are going to make their way into a pasta dish and later the remainders, if not eaten for a snack, will be tossed on pizza dough.

You can probably see my dilemma in deciding what to fix.  The options go on.  Petite aubergine, you are the thing of dreams.


Missy


If you have been mildly amused, challenged or inspired by what you have read, please pass on my blog to a friend, colleague, family member or even random acquaintance


Comments

  1. Congrats on the lead gardener position. I'm sure you will be a wonderful guide. I'm hoping to be there next spring. I will need some smelly amendments as well. But there will be no eggplant in my garden. They are very pretty and a nice color, but my palate does not find them satisfying. I'm the fresh, crisp veggie girl. Not much in the cooked department. Have fun though. That's the most important part.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd like to say that I was a lead gardener, but I'm just part of the committee which consists of 6 people. We have a total of around 40 gardeners participating. It's a good experience.

      I like crisp veggies, cooked ones the whole gamut. It's especially nice this time of year when everything is so off-the-vine fresh. I hope you get to plant a few things ... even yet this year. In the valley, you can grow some things almost year round. Thanks for reading, Marlene. I look forward to your next post...whatever adventure you find yourself off to.

      Delete
  2. Wonderful - Thankyou for sharing - I'm doing a ton of gardening & experimental cooking this year - check out my page " food alchemy " on the dancing spirit Pinterest page

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Barbara! Thanks for taking time to read my blog. What type of food experiments have you done? I was not able to locate the page you referenced. Playing with food is something I do on a regular basis. Happy eating and gardening.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

lent, not lint

says it all - the grotto It sticks to your clothes and shows up splendidly on black, it gets caught on the screen in the dryer and socks elaborately decorate your toes with the stuff.  Yep, lint:  the fuzzy, ravelings of fabric that cling to everything; like Velcro, only different. Lint actually has a purpose.  By scraping it from linen it can be made into a soft, fleecy fabric.  Cotton staple – lint fibers – are spun into yarn.  While all of this is riveting, especially while staring at the lint in your belly-button, there’s more to Lent than its sound doppelganger. lint: fluffy, minute shreds of yarn lent: a season of preparation These two tiny words sound similar in our vernacular, but have massively different implications in our lives.  We clean-up lint and toss it in the trash.  Lent, however is a prepping time for us to realize we’re not great at cleaning up our own stuff. Lent was originally a season between winter and summer, now called spring.  The s

road tripping: french glen and steens mountain

we took a stinkin' lot of dirt roads, but i wouldn't have it any other way The drive wasn’t long by west coast standards, a mere few of hours; which meant there was plenty of leisure (interpreted coffee time) before leaving on another road trip escapade.  I can’t begin to tell you how much fun it is to pack a bag, gas up the car and set out to see what can be seen. An interesting thing I’ve discovered on these exploits, is that having lived in Oregon for the majority of my life, I’ve missed “seeing” a lot of things. You know, I think we all get into the habit of going to the same places, which is a good thing, but we forget about the “other” places that are right in our own backyards. Case in point, yesterday afternoon, when my darling man and I went to Tumalo Falls. I’ve been to Skyliner Snow Park, but never gone the few more dirt road miles to see the falls. Holy cow! Is that lame, or what? a sweet little place, no frills, but plenty of yesteryear

pebbles

strewn pebbles Walking on the path I noticed the pebbles. I stopped and picked one up, holding it in my hand to feel it’s texture. Tiny and smooth, it felt warm from the sun. Continuing on my walk, the way was scattered with pebbles of different shapes and sizes; some flat and polished, others round and craggy with sharp edges that could cut the skin. I considered the meaning, if any. Some had been sanded to perfection by time and wear. Others recently broken and chipped were harsh, ugly to feel and look at. No matter, all were pebbles; that was fact. Missy If you have been mildly amused, challenged or inspired by what you have read, please pass on my blog to a friend, colleague, family member or even random acquaintance