Skip to main content

not so suffering succotash

grilled vegetables clutter the plate with goodness

I’m not a practicing vegan or even vegetarian, but I do adore vegetables, especially when they're roasted so become all caramelized and perfect.  When a heat wave like we’ve been experiencing  hits – high 90’s, closing in on 100 degrees, which I know is normal for some parts of the country, but not so much for Oregon in early July – my cooking is taken outside.  The faithful grill becomes my BFF, furnishing me mind-blowing vegetables, but with a smoky essence as an added flavor stamp.

Last week was the Fourth of July and I needed a couple of side dishes to take to a family BBQ blow-out of sparklers, fireworks and piles of grilled goodness.  We’re talking ribs, burgers, dogs, chicken; it was a meatatarian’s utopia.  Enter my plant-based food to tame the carnivores.

I’d been to my favorite farmer’s stand which meant the kitchen was cluttered with heaps of vegetables; ears of silky corn, assorted zucchini, sweet Walla Walla onions and a couple of not-from-my-area avocados.  Hey, California is on the west coast, so I consider them semi-local.  I also had fresh basil on hand, as well as some really nice Parmesan cheese. Brilliance struck; corn plus the other edibles equals a riff on succotash.

Succotash means “broken kernels,” in Naragansett, a language of indigenous people who lived in New England.   The main ingredients in succotash are corn and lima beans, or another form of shell beans.  Pairing grains and legumes meant a highly nutritious meal that was relatively inexpensive.  It saw many a family through the Great Depression.


green and yellow zucchini + corn complete with browned bits


What I did:

The corn was roasted whole, while the zucchini and onions where diced, bathed with olive oil, salt and pepper and tossed into a grill basket.  All met with fire and smoke for about 45 minutes; achieving that longed for char.  

After allowing the corn to cool, the toasty kernels were sliced off the cobs.  To accomplish this feat without the kernels bouncing all over the kitchen, stand the cob up in a large bowl and carefully slice down.  Even though there will be an escapee or two, most of the golden nuggets will tumble in the bowl.

To finish off this vegetable star in a meat-based show, the grill-roasted zucchini and onions were mixed with the corn.  This trio was bright, but then came the magnum opus:  creamy avocado, tatters of fresh basil and shreds of Parmesan cheese; gently seasoned with olive oil and garlic granules.  Needless to say, this sort-of succotash was devoured, the plate almost being licked clean.

One of the coolest things about a dish like this is it doesn’t require a guideline-enforced recipe.  Grill what’s in season.  Put it together like a mix-tape, blend in a handful of herbs and remember the avocado.  I know the saying is “everything is better with bacon,” and I do agree, but avocado is right up there.



Missy



If you have been mildly amused, challenged or inspired by what you have read, please pass on my blog to a friend, colleague, family member or even random acquaintance


Comments

  1. That looks mouth watering good, Missy. I had an education today. Learned where the word Succotash came from. I think mother nature is trying so see what Oregon would be like baked. :( I'm ready for the snow. Finally a tiny break. Glad you had a great fourth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not ready for snow, but the cooler temps have been nice for a few days. We should be more seasonal now. I hope you get a chance to try this dish...you can also saute everything in a pan. It's such a great way to use summer veggies. Take care, my friend.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

lent, not lint

says it all - the grotto It sticks to your clothes and shows up splendidly on black, it gets caught on the screen in the dryer and socks elaborately decorate your toes with the stuff.  Yep, lint:  the fuzzy, ravelings of fabric that cling to everything; like Velcro, only different. Lint actually has a purpose.  By scraping it from linen it can be made into a soft, fleecy fabric.  Cotton staple – lint fibers – are spun into yarn.  While all of this is riveting, especially while staring at the lint in your belly-button, there’s more to Lent than its sound doppelganger. lint: fluffy, minute shreds of yarn lent: a season of preparation These two tiny words sound similar in our vernacular, but have massively different implications in our lives.  We clean-up lint and toss it in the trash.  Lent, however is a prepping time for us to realize we’re not great at cleaning up our own stuff. Lent was originally a season between winter and summer, now called spring.  The s

road tripping: french glen and steens mountain

we took a stinkin' lot of dirt roads, but i wouldn't have it any other way The drive wasn’t long by west coast standards, a mere few of hours; which meant there was plenty of leisure (interpreted coffee time) before leaving on another road trip escapade.  I can’t begin to tell you how much fun it is to pack a bag, gas up the car and set out to see what can be seen. An interesting thing I’ve discovered on these exploits, is that having lived in Oregon for the majority of my life, I’ve missed “seeing” a lot of things. You know, I think we all get into the habit of going to the same places, which is a good thing, but we forget about the “other” places that are right in our own backyards. Case in point, yesterday afternoon, when my darling man and I went to Tumalo Falls. I’ve been to Skyliner Snow Park, but never gone the few more dirt road miles to see the falls. Holy cow! Is that lame, or what? a sweet little place, no frills, but plenty of yesteryear

pebbles

strewn pebbles Walking on the path I noticed the pebbles. I stopped and picked one up, holding it in my hand to feel it’s texture. Tiny and smooth, it felt warm from the sun. Continuing on my walk, the way was scattered with pebbles of different shapes and sizes; some flat and polished, others round and craggy with sharp edges that could cut the skin. I considered the meaning, if any. Some had been sanded to perfection by time and wear. Others recently broken and chipped were harsh, ugly to feel and look at. No matter, all were pebbles; that was fact. Missy If you have been mildly amused, challenged or inspired by what you have read, please pass on my blog to a friend, colleague, family member or even random acquaintance